Flahavan’s has been milling oats at the family mill in Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford for over 200 years
There has been an oats mill at Kilmacthomas since the late 1700's. The power for the mill came from the nearby River Mahon which at one time also powered four other mills. In those days, the mill was used for the contract milling of oats for local farm growers and oat growers. This is where the farmer’s oats were then milled and the milled oatmeal was returned to him. He was charged for this service. At this time, the oatmeal was a heavier type than the Flahavan's "flaked" oatmeal we know today.
In 1935 it was decided to expand the mill and to put in an oatflaking facility. Oatflaking produced a finer flake, which is faster to cook. By 1959, Flahavan’s completed the construction of its current mill building.
The first family connection to the Flahavan’s name can be traced back to about 1785 when Thomas Dunn took over the mill. Dunn was the great-great-great-grandfather of John Flahavan who is the Managing Director of the company today.