Crispy Garlic Mushroom Burger with No-Knead Buns
Delicious with brioche buns or start making nutritionally-rich oat buns the night before!
Serves 6 Burgers|Takes Overnight + 25 mins
1 1/4 cups Flahavan’s Rolled Oats
6 tbsp milled seeds
3 tbsp roasted seeds
1 tbsp easy mix yeast
55g caster sugar
1/2 cup warm water
4 3/4 cups bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 ½ tsp salt
1 cup oat milk, lukewarm
1/5 cup rapeseed oil, plus extra for coating
6 Portobello Mushrooms
2 tbsp sriracha sauce
1 tbsp marigold bouillon powder
1 tsp garlic salt
4/5 cup gram flour
olive oil spray
Place flour, oats, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine.
Make a well in the centre and pour milk and oil. Mix until combined to form a thick batter, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place overnight.
1. Punch down the risen dough and sprinkle with extra flour. Roll the dough into a log then divide into 6 pieces and roll into balls. Place on a baking sheet and brush with extra oil, leave in warm place for a second rise. Preheat oven to 392°F.
2. Sprinkle extra oats and pinch of salt over the risen rolls then bake for 15 – 18 minutes, until the surface is a golden brown and the roll in the centre sounds hollow when tapped.
3. Marinate the oyster mushrooms. Place them in a large bowl and add the sriracha. Toss together well to evenly coat and set aside for 30 minutes. Add the bouillon and mix together. Mix the 3 tbsp of milled seeds with 5 tbsps warm water in a cup and leave for 10 minutes.
4. To coat the mushrooms, place the gram flour in a shallow dish and pour milled seeds liquid into a medium bowl, lightly whisk until frothy. Crush the roasted seeds in a mortar and pestle or with a mini blender mix the remaining milled seeds with garlic salt. Dip each mushroom in the gram flour batter then dip in the garlic crumb. Shake to evenly coat each mushroom and work in batches, until all the mushrooms are coated. Spray each meatball with some olive oil and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
5. To assemble each burger, spread the sriracha mayonnaise onto the base of the brioche bun. Top with shredded lettuce, followed by red pepper, pickles, vegan mayonnaise and crispy mushrooms. Place the lid on and serve with chips topped with more roasted seed crumb.
These burgers are best freshly made and the bread rolls are perfect for picnics, dinners and snacks too!